Since Republicans keep playing partisan politics as they have egregiously for the past 8 years (and further, the past 8 years have just been the worst), I think the Democrats should start pushing bills through Congress that will be very difficult to vote against.
Here’s my list:
- The Banking Responsibility Act – To restore regulations to protect free markets that conservatives have stripped away over the years. Obviously, policing themselves didn’t work.
- The Corporate Accountability Act – Let’s shine some light on where the first bailout money went to and what it bought us. At least it should bring us some accountability to the American public from these companies.
- State Children’s Health Insurance Act – Bring it back after Republicans defeated last summer. A quick search on the Internet reveals Democrats are on top of this one.
- The Energy Independence Act – To bring energy independence to our country and free us from subservience to corrupt oil rich nations. It would be interesting to see how Republicans try to spin a vote against this one to support their oil company allies.
- The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Play Act – This is a good one. End the statute of limitations on age discrimination filings (it was a ridiculous 180 days from when the employer decided to pay them less even though employees often don’t find out about this until years later). The more I look into this, the more it seems the Democrats may be ahead of me here. That Obama is one smart cookie.
- The Educational Freedom Act – Who knows how best to teach children? Your local schools. So let’s get the Federal Government out of the way and let the local schools determine what is best for our children. Ok, this one might be a bit of a stretch.
I’d keep sending bills like this through until Republicans really want to sit down and work things through in a genuine bipartisan fashion.